Reforming the Pandemic Response
Five key recommendations that will improve the response to pandemics
Luke Turner | | Quick Read
As a result of the recent SARS-CoV-2 Molecular Testing Survey (1), the Association for Molecular Pathology has developed five key recommendations that aim to improve the response to the current crisis and potential future pandemics. Labs must:
- Reassess the type and location of required testing services, from acutely presenting patients to “back to work” clearance, adapting methods to suit different scenarios.
- Prioritize allocation of testing methods and materials according to real-time feedback on clinical testing needs, which change over time.
- Improve communication and transparency between laboratories and suppliers so that labs can better prepare themselves around resource availability and shipment information.
- Ensure that labs coordinate regionally in real time to share any excess testing capacity, helping to prevent communication and resource bottlenecks.
- Standardize reporting formats and processes for infectious diseases during a pandemic through logistical support, defining minimal required data elements, and preventing duplicate reports.
Subscribe to The Pathologist Newsletters
- The Association for Molecular Pathology (2020). Available at: https://bit.ly/2Bhmo47.