A Smart Approach to Testing
A new lab-on-a-chip for nucleic acid analysis works with your smartphone to offer a broad range of potential diagnostic applications
Brian Cunningham |
At a Glance
- Smartphones are ubiquitous – and they offer a cheaper, quicker way to access doctors and medical tests
- We have devised a new silicon chip that amplifies pathogenic DNA and RNA; results can be read by a smartphone
- The aim is to offer faster, more affordable diagnostics at the point of care, which will be especially valuable in resource-limited settings
- The current device is a prototype – but, when scaled up, it will offer a range of human, veterinary and environmental tests
Did you know that the average person spends over four hours per day on their mobile phone (1)? And although smartphones are becoming indispensable tools for business and entertainment, they also have the potential to transform the way we interact with the health system. With computers in our pockets, it should be easy to get more immediate, more convenient, and lower-cost access to doctors. Infectious diseases are one application where getting immediate results from a test, rather than waiting several days for samples to be sent to a lab and cultured, is very important. Speed can limit the spread of a virus among animal or human populations. It can identify a dangerous bacterial species in food preparation or in the hospital before it causes an epidemic. Infectious diseases also represent one of the leading causes of death in resource-limited parts of the world. In those places more than anywhere else, an inexpensive point-of-care test can have an enormous impact.
Read the full article now
Log in or register to read this article in full and gain access to The Pathologist’s entire content archive. It’s FREE and always will be!
Or register now - it’s free and always will be!
You will benefit from:
- Unlimited access to ALL articles
- News, interviews & opinions from leading industry experts
- Receive print (and PDF) copies of The Pathologist magazine
Or Login via Social Media
By clicking on any of the above social media links, you are agreeing to our Privacy Notice.