Cookies

Like most websites The Pathologist uses cookies. In order to deliver a personalized, responsive service and to improve the site, we remember and store information about how you use it. Learn more.
Diagnostics Endocrinology, Genetics and epigenetics, Omics, Oncology

Cancer Drivers in the Dark Genome

Only 2 percent of the human genome encodes proteins; the remaining 98 percent is a mystery – and one we are just beginning to unravel. Evidence increasingly shows that noncoding DNA may be involved in gene regulation, including in cancer formation. But how can we plumb the depths of the noncoding genome? A new computational tool, cis-expression, may offer a solution (1).

Cis-X identifies driver mutations in two steps. First, it seeks out genes expressed on only one chromosome and at abnormally high levels; next, it looks for noncoding DNA alterations in the 3D genome. “Cis-X offers a powerful new approach for investigating the functional role of noncoding variants in cancer, which may expand the scope of precision medicine to treat cancer caused by such variants,” said senior author Jinghui Zhang (2).

The software is available free of charge at: tp.txp.to/ZhangLab/cis-X

Receive content, products, events as well as relevant industry updates from The Pathologist and its sponsors.

When you click “Subscribe” we will email you a link, which you must click to verify the email address above and activate your subscription. If you do not receive this email, please contact us at [email protected].
If you wish to unsubscribe, you can update your preferences at any point.

  1. Y Liu et al., Nat Genet, 52, 811 (2020). PMID: 32632335.
  2. St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital (2020). Available at: bit.ly/317hZvh.
About the Author
Michael Schubert

While obtaining degrees in biology from the University of Alberta and biochemistry from Penn State College of Medicine, I worked as a freelance science and medical writer. I was able to hone my skills in research, presentation and scientific writing by assembling grants and journal articles, speaking at international conferences, and consulting on topics ranging from medical education to comic book science. As much as I’ve enjoyed designing new bacteria and plausible superheroes, though, I’m more pleased than ever to be at Texere, using my writing and editing skills to create great content for a professional audience.

Register to The Pathologist

Register to access our FREE online portfolio, request the magazine in print and manage your preferences.

You will benefit from:
  • Unlimited access to ALL articles
  • News, interviews & opinions from leading industry experts
  • Receive print (and PDF) copies of The Pathologist magazine

Register